Korean inspired beef tacos with kimchi and pear
This is a version of the Korean braised beef recipe on the members website. Here, I have changed it a bit and turned it into a taco filling. You could also use lettuce cups and add some cooked rice to the table too.
The salad dressing is from the Japanese soba noodle bowl recipe but uses half the recipe and a different vinegar. You can serve all the salady things separately or you can basically make a red cabbage, pear, sesame, coriander and spring onion slaw. I also added in a couple of carrots.
Serves 4 – 6
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 large pear cored
- 30 g fresh ginger peeled, – about 2 thumbs
- 6-8 cloves garlic
- 1 T sesame oil
- 6 T tamari or soy
- 2 T mirin
- ½ cup kimchi with some juice
- 1.6 kg beef short ribs or try 1 kg ish of beef chuck – in 2- 3 large slices, you could also use brisket or bone on shin. If you can find them use short rib! If using chuck steak, try keep them in big pieces. They are easier to shred.
- ½ small red cabbage finely sliced – you can also add shredded carrot
- 3 T soy sauce
- 3 T black vinegar – Chinkiang brand
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T maple syrup
- ½ T sesame oil
- 2 T grated onion – about half a small onion
- 4 T mayo
- 1 tsp white miso or use hot sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 2 spring onions chopped
- 2-4 T sesame seeds toasted
- 1 small pear finely shredded
- coriander leaves
- extra chilli or hot sauce – I definitely recommend some heat with this dish
Place the onion, pear, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, soy, mirin and kimchi in a blender and blend until smooth. Place the short ribs in an ovenproof dish and pour over the marinade. Leave overnight if possible or a few hours will probably be fine.
Cover tightly with foil and place in a 150-degree oven for 3.5-4 hours or until the meat is super tender. Leave to rest before removing the bones and shredding. I find the best way to do this is taking the meat out of the sauce and then add the sauce back in, that way you can leave behind some of the fat.
Make the slaw and dressing. Cook the rice if using.
Mix the mayo – miso and put the extras in little bowls. Warm the tacos
Warm the beef if you made it in advance.