Roast carrot and paneer salad with peanut coriander dressing
I really love a good salad and turning it into a meal. This one uses spring carrots and potatoes, something I always get in my vegetable box each week and a quick peanut butter based dressing.
Protein wise, I have used a block of tofu and some paneer but you can use one or the other. Soft fudgy boiled eggs would work too or just use paneer and serve it with some sliced barbecued meat. The first time I made this I used tofu and half a block of haloumi leftover in the fridge and that was great!
We ate this with lettuce leaves and a squeeze of lemon. Everything can be made while the vegetables roast.
Tip: Make sure your oven is hot the the vegetables are in a single layer.If you find your vegetables are cooked but have no colour then turn your oven to fan grill for the last 3-5 minutes to brown them up.
If you liked you could prep the vegetables in advance and make the dressing.
- 1 bunch carrots – about 500-600g – larger ones sliced in half
- 600 g potatoes , chopped into 2 bite pieces, mine were small so I went for half and quarters for some of the bigger ones – think a size similar to a wedge.
- 1 T garlic , finely chopped
- 1 T ginger , finely chopped
- 2 T oil
- 1/2-1 red or green chilli , finely sliced
- lettuce leaves
- Extra lemon
- coriander leaves
- 300 g tofu
- 4 T cornflour seasoned with salt and pepper
- Haloumi or paneer optional but yum – diced
- 4 T crunchy peanut butter (Fix and Fogg is good here)
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 -2 T water to loosen
- 1 T soy or tamari
- 2 T coriander chopped – use the stalks and save the leaves for the salad
Preheat the oven to 220 fan. Remember a hot oven is what you want when roasting vegetables!
Toss the carrots, potatoes, ginger, garlic, salt and oil together on a large lined baking tray. You want a single layer of vegetables here. Roast for 40 minutes tossing half way and to release some steam from the oven. The vegetables should be tender and slightly caramelised.
Mix all ingredients together.
I cut the tofu in half length ways and the pop it on a paper towel so get rid of some moisture.. Cut into batons and toss in the cornflour. Heat oil in a pan and then fry until crispy and golden. Drain on a paper towel and then slice up.
Cook up any haloumi or paneer if you are using it.
Arrange the roast vegetables on a plate. Top with sliced chilli and coriander leaves and then the tofu/haloumi/paneer. You can drizzle over the dressing if you like or just serve it on the side.
We ate this with salad leaves and extra lemon wedges. Leftovers were great too!